Thursday, January 15, 2009

Colors I Love

A question was posed on Sisterhood of Scrap today: what's your favorite color and what does it say about you?

There is no simple answer to that as I love many colors. In my former life as an art teacher, the color theory unit was one of my favorites to teach. I could go on for days and days about the science of color and I had loads of exploratory assignments featuring the color wheel! My students didn't always share my love though! I am fascinated by how color works and the magic that happens when colors combine. I love to play with color - paint, paper, crayons, markers, fabric etc. That is probably ONE of the reasons I love scrapbooking and all the yummy products that go along with it!
My closet has some clues as to my favorites. Let's see...no yellow, no orange, a few items in red. A lot of black and brown. But mostly I favour all the cool colors...blues, teals, greens, and even some purples. Calm, cool and collected I like to think! If you had to pin me down to one favorite color though, I'd probably have to pick turquoise. It's rich and deep and lush and exotic - all at the same time!
And what does my favorite color say about me? According to this site, I am complex, imaginative and original. I don't know about that. I just know my eyes look prettier when I wear turquoise!

You can visit these sites to have lots of fun with color:

Kuler - an application by adobe that lets you create and save all sorts of color schemes. Check out the ones I made here. (Hmmm...when I look at these themes there are a lot of variations on aqua and turquoise! Go figure!)

Big Huge Labs - which is part of Flickr and lets you do some really neat things with your photos. I love the Palette Generator which looks at a photo and gives you swatches of colors that match the photo! How cool for use scrapbookers, eh? Here's an example:


On a much different note...did you see the announcement about Simple Scrapbooks Magazine? The May/June issue will be the last. I love Simple Scrapbooks and I will miss seeing it in my mailbox, but they said that the simple philosophy will "live on" in Creating Keepsakes. Oh well...time to move on, eh?
Happy Scrapping!
Noreen

3 comments:

  1. Turquoise is nice, but I don't look good in it :-) Thanks for posting all those color links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turquoise is blue GREEN!! I like it alot.
    TFS

    have a scrappy day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post, Noreen! Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete