Monday, December 28, 2009

Holiday Aftermath

It's a back-to-normal kind of day around here.

We had a wonderful Christmas day with family - opening presents with Grandparents in the morning and a lovely dinner with extended family at my cousin's house on Christmas night. Grayson and Sam were totally spoiled and received many wonderful gifts, including a rocking horse, play mailbox and little people garage (Sam) and a roundhouse, Bounce Back Racer and building sets (Grayson). Santa was very good to me - he brought me a Cricut Expression, a watch, spa gift certificates and a breadmaker (looks like I am going to be a fat, pampered happy crafter who is always on time this year!) Shane's gifts included a new watch, tools, super special Scotchedy-Scotch-Scotch and lots of books and videos.

We had lots of fun on Boxing day playing with our new toys and visitng ZooLites in the evening. And yesterday was a lazy do-whatever-you want kind of day where we didn't even get out of our pyjamas!  But I have found that when you have little ones, everyone does better when the regular routines are followed, so today we are trying to ge back to regular meals, baths and nap/bedtimes.

The week after Christmas is always a week of reflection for me...on what has happened in the past year and on what is to come. I will share a few thoughts on this later in the week, but for now ( to keep me organized) here is the last meal plan of 2009.




Monday: Homemade Chicken Fingers (chicken sliced into strips, tossed with Shake and Bake and baked in the oven) Oven Fries and Coleslaw

Tuesday: Leftover buffet! (we still have leftovers from Christmas as well as in the freezer)

Wednesday: Macaroni & Cheese, Veggies & Dip

Thursday: New Year's Eve - we are going to Shane's business partner's house for a party. The kids are coming along and will have a little sleep there until we are ready to go home (hope this works out!) It's also our 7th wedding anniversary! So no cooking for me, but I'll bring a long an appetizer like bruschetta

Friday: Happy New Year! I am having the whole family over for supper. I'll do a big Roast Beef, Gravy, Mashed Potatoes, Yorkshire Pudding, Carrots, Peas, Soft Rolls, Salad, Skor Bar Trifle for Dessert

Saturday: My MIL's birthday. We are taking her out for supper to her favorite place - Red Lobster! Wow...two nights this week I haven't had to cook!

Sunday: Easy Chicken Enchiladas,  Green Salad

And as always...for inspiration and great ideas, make sure to have a look at the HUNDREDS of other meal plans on http://www.orgjunkie.com/!

Lastly, I am debating whether or not to buy a couple of cookbooks - The $5 Dinner Mom Cookbook and Family Feasts for $75 a Week. I follow the blogs of both these women so I know there are some recipes on the blogs that are the same as in their books. It might be nice to have all the recipes in one place for easy reference, but I seem to collect cookbooks and they get left on the shelf. In my effort to SIMPLIFY (more on this later this week) I am wondering if it worth purchasing them. Anyone have these? Should they be a must-have? Let me know what you think about cookbooks!

No comments:

Post a Comment